Thursday, February 5, 2009

Green Noodles

The recipe for "Green Noodles" was passed down to me from my mom. I realize my name for this meal is not exactly appetizing so if you want to call them something different like "Pasta with Poblano Sauce" then go for it. Around here though, we call them "Green Noodles" and we love this quick and easy meal.

Ingredients:
*3 poblano peppers
*12 oz. pasta
*1/2 cup evaporated milk
*1/2 cup chicken stock
*4 oz. cheese (I like pepper jack or monterey jack best)
*2 tbs. butter

Step 1: Broil the poblanos (either in an oven or a toaster oven) until the skins are loose and the peppers are starting to get brown/black. Meanwhile, cook the pasta.

Step 2: Steam the poblanos (put them in a bag for about 5 minutes).

Step 3: Peel the skin off of the poblanos. Also, de-seed and de-vein them. You can keep the seeds and veins if you want to depending on just how brave you are. The dish will be very spicy with them and possibly even without them. Oh, don't forget to take the stems off- nobody wants a crunchy sauce.

Step 4: Put the poblanos, chicken stock, and evaporated milk in the blender and blend until smooth.

Step 5: By now the noodles should be done. Drain them and put them in a greased casserole dish. Put the cut up cheese and butter on top and then pour the sauce on.

Step 6: Cover and bake for 30 minutes.

That's it! See? Easy. Just remember that poblanos can be very spicy, mild, or somewhere in between. So you will be taking a slight chance every time you make this that it may get turn out too hot for some.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I LOVE poblano flavor! I just started my poblano seeds, so I'm aiming for lots of fresh peppers by July!

    ReplyDelete