Saturday, January 10, 2009

Frozen Dinners

Tomorrow is my last day before Winter Break ends and I am forced back into the time-sink that is school. So, I would like to make one more delicious meal to freeze for those nights when Mike's talking in Python and I'm talking in the degenerate triplet code of our DNA and we need to eat without bringing our minds back to reality.

So far, I'm made big batches of veal meatballs in sauce and beef stew, both great comfort foods that don't loose much after being frozen for 3 months. I'd really like something less meaty, or at least without cow, as our third frozen meal option. Any ideas?


What are your favorite last-minute, easy dinners? How do you cope with having no time and/or no energy to make food? What is the biggest cause of this lack of time and energy? For instance, we catch up on the Pizza Hut delivery woman's daughter's latest misadventures during our finals weeks. Mac and cheese with kosher hot dogs is our main staple when I'm working a ton and Mike has some extra time to 'cook'. Normally, we're two-veggie, lean meat, whole grain people, but life doesn't always make it possible to cook such things. I'm just curious what everyone eats when they're too exhausted to do whatever we would normally do for a meal!

And again, ideas for things to freeze?

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. ugh, my comment just got deleted. A recipe I have recently gotten to liking is the highest rated recipe on allrecipes.com for chicken tikka masala. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Tikka-Masala/Detail.aspx
    I won't retype it all here, but I will say this: the jalapeno is unnecessary, as is the full amount of cayanne. you need to cut the salt down by at least half if not more. If you want to make the recipe quickly, (30 min.) you can skip the marinating step by eliminating the yogurt and instead using the spices as a dry rub and then cooking however you like, (grill is unnecessary). The sauce only takes about 20 minutes, and i use skim milk not heavy cream. I imagine that this could freeze easily because it seems similar to the other things you mentioned.
    Also, this recipe is not comfort food, but it is very easy:
    Orange-Rosemary chicken:
    Take 4, (or 3 or 10 or however many, just add more juice for more breasts, but don't reduce much for fewer) boneless skinless chicken breasts. Rub each with a little olive oil, (1/2 tsp) and rub with minced garlic. Sprinkle each breast with kosher salt, pepper and rosemary to taste. Place the chicken in a glass baking dish and add 1/3-1/2 cup orange juice. Cover. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes and then turn chicken over, basting if necessary. Bake for 10-15 more minutes. A nice light meal, or a good light protein for a heavier side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! Thank you for commenting!
    I just bought some masala spice mix at Savory spice shop (in Boulder, CO) and I think I'll try just using that instead of their array of spices, sounds like it has the same things!

    Also, I've been looking for something to do with blood oranges, and I'm wondering about doing your chicken recipe with salmon. I'll probably try the chicken with blood oranges and see. They add such wonderful color to everything, and have a really unique bite to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help, but right now I'm living off of spaghetti and frozen stir fry. I'm bad when Brandon's gone. Cody on the other hand has all sorts of awesome meals- I just discovered weelicious and LOVE it. http://weelicious.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that would work really well with salmon. I often think the orange taste could be stronger so I think the blood oranges would be great. Also, I'll bet masala spice will be really useful in this recipe and many others- the spice mixture isn't hard and is pretty readily available but is still a little tedious sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a really great piece of Mahi-Mahi yesterday, which is rare here in the Mountain States, so now I'm thinking I've got to buy some myself ... blood oranges, but maybe rosemary is too much for such a light fish? Any suggestions, coleslaw? I'm sort of obsessed with citrus, so the orange rosemary chicken's been on my mind a lot the past couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete